New Jersey is not typically the first place that comes to mind when people say “road trip”. Surprisingly though, the state is home to a number of attractions that you and your family will enjoy. So for this year’s vacation, why not bundle all your family members in an RV rental and go on a road trip to New Jersey? If you have a limited budget, you do not have to worry. We have listed some of the greatest inexpensive places in New Jersey you can drive your family to.
- Paterson Great Falls National Historic Park – This is a delightful and easy day trip that the entire family will enjoy. Park admission is absolutely free, so you can park your RV rental and enjoy the scenery. Do not forget to take snaps of the falls, which by the way, was declared a national natural landmark back in 1967. You can also take the family to see the Paterson Museum. Admission costs $2.00 per person, and kids get in free.
- Howell Living History Farm – This tourist favorite is located in Lambertville and is quite an easy drive from the city. The place is very interactive, with classes, programs and activities for adults and children. Admission to the park is free of charge.
- New Jersey State Museum – Housed in the state capital, a trip to the museum takes a full day but it is well worth it. Admission is only $5.00 per adult, children below 12 years old can come in for free. Apart from the museum exhibits, they also provide a free tour of the capitol building and of course, do not miss visiting the Old Barracks, to learn more about the state’s colorful history.
- Duke Farms – If you and your family love the outdoors and enjoy going on bike rides, then make sure you stop by Duke Farms. It may take you a day to explore the place though, but there are a lot of activities to keep the whole family busy. There are historic tours, bird watching, workshops, hiking and you can rent bikes for a couple of hours for $5.00 per person. If you do not have a helmet with you, they can provide one. Oh, and admission is absolutely free.
- Morris Museum – Located in Morristown, New Jersey, it is easy to see why this is considered one of the loveliest museums in the country. The museum is also home to a collection of automaton and music boxes. While admission costs $10.00 for adults and $7.00 for children, you can time your visit to every 2nd and 3rd Thursday of every month when admission to the museum is free.
- High Point – If you plan to take the family camping, High Point State Park is a great place to do it. Not only is the park the highest point in the state, there are also plenty of hiking trails you and the family can try. And at nightfall, get the family together and witness the sun setting across the lake.
- Big Brook Park Fossil Site – This is a place where your kids would definitely have a ball. Big Brook is actually a stream running through the Mammoth Country in New Jeresey. It is a great spot for hiking but the stream is best known for fossils dating back to the Cretaceous Period. So why deprive your kids of being archaeologists and explorers even for just a day?
Spending quality time with your family is never wasted. And as you can see from the list above, there are a number of places in New Jersey that you can take the family to without breaking the bank. The question is, have you arranged for your RV rental yet?